Special thanks to our good friend Kyle Frank, who has been one of the biggest supporters of the Jimmie Beller Memorial eLibrary. He has helped so much with scanning books, he has helped with some proofreading, and also helped with encouragement.
I just thought I’d take that opportunity to let you all know about one of the great helpers behind the scenes.
Today, we are giving you another FREE eBook, and this time it’s a really interesting look at the methods behind properly interpreting the Bible. Originally called “The Organon of Scripture,” we think that the subtitle is much easier to remember and much better in describing the book: “The Inductive Method of Biblical Interpretation.”
- BOOK FIRST: OF THE METHODS HITHERTO PURSUED.
- PART I: PRELIMINARY.
- CHAPTER I: Characteristics Of Current Skepticism.
- CHAPTER II: The Present State Of Hermeneutical Science.
- CHAPTER III: The Dependence Of Rules Upon Method.
- PART II: OF THE MYSTIC METHOD.
- CHAPTER I: Origin Of The Mystic Theology.
- CHAPTER II: Sketch Of The Mystic Theology.
- CHAPTER III: Mysticism Among Protestants.
- CHAPTER IV: Of The Literal Parts Of Scripture.
- CHAPTER V: Of The Figurative Parts Of Scripture.
- PART III: OF THE DOGMATIC METHOD.
- CHAPTER I: Of Scholasticism.
- CHAPTER II: Of The Theory And The Practice Of Protestantism.
- CHAPTER III: The Effects Of Protestant Inconsistency.
- CHAPTER IV: Of Protestant Creeds.
- BOOK SECOND: THE ORGANON.
- PART I: THE INDUCTIVE METHOD.
- CHAPTER I: Definition Of Terms.
- CHAPTER II: Of The Practicability Of Inductive Exegesis.
- CHAPTER III: Of Bacon’s Idola.
- CHAPTER IV: Of The Collection Of Materials.
- CHAPTER V: General Classification.
- CHAPTER VI: Of Special Classification.
- CHAPTER VII: Canons Of The Inductive Method.
- CHAPTER VIII: The Inverse Or Deductive Process.
- PART II: OF THE SIGNIFICATION OF WORDS.
- CHAPTER I: Preliminary Observations.
- CHAPTER II: Of The General Meaning Of Words.
- CHAPTER III: Of The Secondary Sense Of Words.
The book has been reformatted (as always), and is a good introduction to a deeper understanding of biblical interpretation. We’re happy to make this available for you to read online or download for later reading. Just click the link below to do either:
-Bradley S. Cobb